picture

picture

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Teaching about the Season of Giving

Christmas is coming and fast and we want to instill in our child that Christmas is about Jesus and also about giving to others who are in need.

Today Liam and I went shopping with a list of those things that children who are not as lucky as us need. We got the list from our in-laws church but it is for The Baby Fold here in Normal. I was doubtful whether Liam would understand that we were buying these gifts for needy boys and girls and felt I needed to remind him many times why we were walking up and down the toy aisle.

Remembering that usually it's the teenagers who get left out of donations we stopped and got some earbuds for both a boy and a girl. Some fun socks for infants and toddlers. A few baby books that Liam picked out. A Dora bath painting kit for a toddler girl and some legos for a boy.  Liam also picked out a Jake and the Neverland Pirates paint book.

About once every 10 minutes Liam would stop the cart, he was "helping" me push it, and want to look at a toy because of how cool it looked. When I told him we had only about 10 more dollars to spend he stopped at a electric train thinking we should get that gift. It was $90. Also when we were picking out infant socks he wanted to stop and look at the toddler underwear. He really wanted us to get the spiderman underwear, his favorite superhero, but I had to explain to him that underwear wasn't on the list of things to buy. Maybe Santa will bring him some Spiderman underwear at Christmas.

I still am not sure if he truly grasped the idea but it is a lesson that I hope we are able to continue to teach him every year.

And as a special reward for helping me pick out all of these items the only thing he wanted was to ride the mechanical horse at the front of the store. As many times as he could before I had to drag him off of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment