This is the consensus that Evan and I are coming to anyway. Everything is more dramatic, more pressing, with less patience and less tolerance for parents who just don't understand.
L: "I need my bear!"
M: "I can't get your bear right now, he's in your back pack and I'm driving, so you'll have to be patient and you can have him when we get home."
L: Tears and screaming, 'I want my bear' the majority of the way home
M: "If you can't get it together and calm down then you will not get your bear when we get home and I'll start taking away movie and book privileges as well."
L: More tears and screaming
M: "Ok, Liam you can't finish watching Finding Nemo tonight. If you continue to cry you'll start losing books before bedtime next. (what I really want to do is burn bear at the stake in front of him but I am also fearful that he may never stop screaming if I take away his bear)
L: Through tears, he screams "I'm calm! I'm calm now!"
Ten minutes later he is sitting on the potty crying because his band aid that he insisted on having over his 4 day old owie, is starting to come off. Even though I offer him a new one this is not acceptable and I am looked at as the town idiot. To top it off Butters pushes her way between us and starts sniffing his knee that holds the precious semi sticky band aid.
L: "AAAHHHH! Butters is trying to eat my band aid!"
M: Through muffled laughter and trying to hide my smile, "No she wasn't, she was sniffing it."
L: "NOOOO! She trying to eat it!"
M: "Your band aid has no value to Butters. It doesn't smell like anything she would even remotely eat."
L: "She would eat it! She likes to eat band aids!"
This is news to me. Meanwhile the instigator who shoved her way between us, quickly retreated as she always does, whenever Liam starts screaming for no apparent reason. She is a smart one that dog. I wish I could hide under the table whenever Liam started screaming but instead I just have to explain why dogs don't like band aids and why his action figure, Catwoman, won't stand up by herself. (I haven't figured out how to tell him the manufacturer made Catwoman "top heavy" and this is why she won't stand up by herself)
Hahahahaha I love reading these!
ReplyDeleteLOL Hilarious! Frustrating in the moment I am SURE! But it's funny for us as readers :) You're doing great mama!
ReplyDelete