picture

picture

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Lucy's here! A birth story

It's hard to believe that Lucy has been with us now for four days. We just got home from the hospital yesterday and the kids just got home from grandparents houses tonight. I want to try and remember everything about Lucy becoming a part of our family so here it goes.

I had a planned cesarean delivery since the other two kids were delivered that way for Monday morning. Evan and I showed up at the hospital at 5:15 am to start getting prepped with the nurses. We were both very excited but also very nervous as this is surgery. And we of course were hoping that this new baby would be healthy and that I would have no complications. Lucy must have still been very high because Evan said it looked like one of the doctors had to get onto the table to push her out. I could definitely feel the amount of pressure they were using as I could hardly breathe. But then we heard, "lots of hair!" and "female it's a girl!"

I was shocked. We didn't find out the gender beforehand but I was so sure that it was going to be a boy. I just kept staring over at her in disbelief. Happy but shocked. I know I commented to Evan on how small she was and also on how much she looked like Liam and Caroline. 
The nurse weighed her and told us that she was 6 lbs 5 oz. And again I was shocked. Lucy was nowhere close to her siblings weight and my belly was so huge! We got some skin to skin time while they sewed me back up and then we went off to the recovery room.

Later that night when the nurse was weighing Lucy she commented on the fact that the scale said she was 7 lbs 9 oz. She immediately dismissed the scale saying she would come back later with a different scale to weigh her again. A few hours later she weighed her again and now she was 7 lbs 8 oz. The charge nurse came in and told us that the scale in the delivery room was not correct and they recalculated her birth weight at 7 lbs 10 oz. That is much closer to her siblings who were born at 7 lbs 12 oz (Caroline) and 8 lbs 4 oz. (Liam)

Lucy has been a great eater and a great sleeper so far. She eats every 3 hours. She also has had plenty of dirty diapers. It seems this girl never stops pooping!

Last Friday we went to the pediatrician to again check her weight and we were told that Lucy looked a bit jaundiced. So due to the holiday weekend we had to go back to the main hospital and get her blood drawn. Luckily the bilirubin level was only at a 12.2 and the pediatrician said that that was fine and just to continue to nurse her as much as she wanted to flush everything out of her system. (Apparently 20 and higher means treatment with an overnight stay at the hospital, so we were very relieved to hear that we would not have to participate in that)

Lucy has no issues with her hips. Yay! I even had 3 different pediatricians check her to make sure. We are so very thankful for a clean bill of health and go back to the pediatrician on Monday.

I am very thankful that I am feeling almost back to normal, 10 days after having surgery. I move around pretty well and only take an Ibuprofen once to twice daily.

The kids are really adapting well to having Lucy around. Liam likes to hold her before he leaves for school every morning although he did tell me the other day after school that he forgot that he had a baby sister. Caroline is doing pretty good as well. I have noticed that she is a tad more clingy to Evan and Grammie but she is always looking for Baby Lucy and wants to touch her nose.

Welcome to our family Baby Lucy!

No comments:

Post a Comment