picture

picture

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Fires and odors

Our furnace is out for the time being which means a house that is in the 50 degree range. We should be getting a new furnace on Monday but for the time being we are managing. With multiple layers and blankets and me being a very grumpy wife and mother. I hate being cold. It is why I love summer so much because there is little chance of being cold.

So, we have lived in this house for 5 years now and never once used our fireplace. We were told that the previous owner used it very often and even had a chimney guy come out last year to see if we could use it safely. We were given the green light but no matter how many times I have suggested it, my husband has not been up for building a fire in the middle of our home. We may not be 100% sure that the flue is open but 90% for me is good enough. Especially when I am freezing.

So last night we had a fire in our fireplace. It was very nice. Liam and I had a fire picnic, where we just read books on a blanket in front of the fire. And Evan filled up a bucket of water that was nearby in case things got out of hand. Seriously.

Unfortunately that flue may need some looking at. After a 3 hour fire it began to be very obvious that not all the smoke was exiting out of the chimney as it should. Which has resulted in a home that smells like Evan and I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes last night, each. Yuck.

This morning I was lighting fragrant candles and spraying Oust to neutralize the odor and exclaiming how it really stinks in here.
Liam said, "Did someone poop in here?"
"No buddy, remember the fire we had last night? The smoke from the fire stinks!"
"The fire pooped?"

Oh brother.....


No comments:

Post a Comment