If moving to a new house was not enough this summer I decided that it was time for me to seriously look for another job.
A friend of mine had an interview with another office and I asked her how she heard about the opening. She let me know that she has a resume on the website Indeed that is set to private and she can be alerted to a potential job match and decide if it is worth her time to apply. That sounded nice but I quickly forgot all about our conversation and continued on with life.
I had not been happy with my current job for several years. However, I have also been compensated extremely well, my hours were good, I only worked 3 days a week but got full time benefits such as paid vacation, 401K contribution and holiday time. I always thought it wasn't so bad so long as I kept on my side of the office and didn't have to deal with all of the drama.
I think it was two weeks after our conversation that I had gone upstairs after falling asleep on the couch (again) and it hit me. Go to Indeed. Look at what's out there. This was at 11 pm. I do not function after 8:30 pm.
After looking I realized that there were 4 jobs available for hygienists in Bloomington. This was almost unheard of in my experience, as both ICC and Parkland churn out approximately 60 hygienists every year; our area is always oversaturated with people. I filled out a generic resume and sent it to 3 of the offices. The next day I had 2 job interviews. One office wanted to interview me that very night. The other office was scheduled for the next day. The third office wanted to meet me as well.
The first interview went extremely well. I felt like I had nailed it. The dentist had basically offered me the position that night but had to talk to his colleague first before formally offering the spot. The pay was decent and much higher than average for this area. I went back two days later to job shadow the hygienist who was leaving and the staff were all fantastic as well. I had many questions as I wanted to make sure if I were going to leave my patients behind and add another work day to my week that it would be worth it. All were answered by the staff and they all agreed that their office was the best with no to little drama and great bosses. The last hire had been done 5 years prior for the front desk and the clinical staff had all been there for over 10 years.
After discussing this with Evan it became clear that I couldn't pass this office up. So after we signed our mortgage I put in my two weeks notice at my office and accepted the new job!
I have now been at my new job for 6 weeks. I am amazed and blessed by the staff and my new bosses every day. This was a fantastic move for me and while I think about the schedule where I only worked 3 days, got off at 4:30 and loved my patients I believe I have transitioned well into my new 4 day work week. The lack of drama has been so worth it. I really believe God was whispering to me that night to make the jump into the unknown. I am so thankful I was listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment