picture

picture

Saturday, September 21, 2019

New School, New Beginnings Part 2

When I got the call that we got an offer on the house I was ecstatic. And since Evan was still at work I couldn't help but spill the beans to the kids. We had just left a park and I decided that we should go out and celebrate so I told the kids to pick where they wanted to have dinner. Culvers was their choice and off I drove.
When they asked why we were getting to go out to eat I enthusiastically told them that we had sold the house!
The kids started processing that this meant
1. New house
2. New neighborhood
3. New School
And right at that moment we happened to be driving by Liam's school.
#MajorfailbyMom

Liam was a mess. Tears upon tears.
Caroline was excited. Two kids from her preschool would also be attending this new school.
More tears from Liam and now his statements of how unfair it was that she was just starting out in kindergarten and would know more people than he would.

Upon arriving at Culvers and feeling like the worst mom in the world I did the only thing I could think of. I opened Liam's door first and just hugged him. I reassured him that over the summer he would meet kids in the neighborhood and I was positive that he would make a friend prior to school starting.

Luckily, shortly after our move and after Liam's baseball game we realized we were following a car home. That car then pulled into a driveway three houses down from our new house. A baseball player got out of the van from the team that Liam had just played against. Moms pushed 8 year old boys to say hello and introduce themselves. And Liam made a new friend going into the same grade at the same school. #woohoo #momwin

Meet the teacher night at the new school went great. Liam and Caroline were able to meet their new teachers and Liam was able to observe his new classmates. (despite his mom nudging him to say hello to all of them)

The next day was the first day of school and while we were concerned that Liam would have some anxiety about that day he did not show it. When I came home from work I was told by both of my children that it was a great day and they love their new school!

First day of 3rd grade!

First day of Kindergarten!

First Day of Preschool!

We are a month into the school year and every day both Liam and Caroline talk about how much they love their teachers and we get to hear new names of kids they sat next to at lunch or played with on the playground. This playground has two sets of play equipment, the ability to play kickball (something Liam felt like he needed to practice at home so he would be prepared come recess time) and soccer. Indoor recess (when it rains) has several different activities for the kids to do. (not just sitting, being quiet and watching a movie) Snack time is restricted to only a fruit or vegetable brought from home every day. No birthday treats are allowed but the birthday kid gets to pick the color of the day that the other kids wear to honor them. And I'm sure other fun activities are also done on birthdays as well.

We loved our old school and Liam always had positive experiences there but its good to see even more positive things in our new school.

Great house? Check!
Great neighborhood? Check!
Great School? Check and Check

No comments:

Post a Comment